Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Full Contact Grocery Shopping




Today was a sunny, bright, fall day. The flies were buzzing sleepily in the windows, the calves were practicing Pilates in the barn yard, and the Beagle was migrating in the sunbeam on the living room carpet as it slowly crossed the room. With the dismal outlook of foul weather for tomorrow, I took the opportunity to get outside and go grocery shopping, run some errands and just get some air! Little did I know, that while searching thru a bin of cake mixes for my favorite kind, I was holding a desperately busy woman back from completing her own errands. Apparently she was getting very impatient, because she rammed her buggy into the backs of my legs. Then, when I looked up in surprise expecting an apology, she backed up a bit and did it again. At this, expecting imminent injury to my person, I moved out of her obviously- more- important- self- than- me, way. As she passed me, a thunderous look on her face, I softly moo'd. She turned and I looked her square in the eyes and said "Its a sunny day, get a grip.". A huff of disgust and she was on her way once more.


Would that she could walk a mile in my shoes as I work with my palliative patients. They would love the opportunity to go outside, smell the fall air,feel the sun on pale, thin, faces, and have the opportunity to forget how much they hurt and long for peace.


I don't pity the dying, however much I care for them and the desperate fight they wage. I pity the ignorant, like this self- important cow. She will feel pain, know heartbreak, and peace will elude her all of her days until she realizes that time is the only thing we all do have. All the rest, well, its all borrowed and fleeting, til we wonder why we ever cared anyway how long we had to wait as someone made a choice.


And, as I have found, some cows just never "get it".


Today I'll go to work with a new story to share with my patient, of a sunny day and a raining soul.


2 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, November 15, 2006 , Blogger JustApril said...

What a horrible woman, I guess she couldn't use her words and ask a simple question. At least you have a more mature outlook than that spoiled selfish cow.

 
At 4:10 PM, November 15, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't use the B word here but the thought is there...

I like the "sunny day and a raining soul" though... :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home